Connect with us
Financial Press
the-new-york-post:-tiktok-to-sue-trump-over-order-banning-transactions-with-app
the-new-york-post:-tiktok-to-sue-trump-over-order-banning-transactions-with-app

Breaking

The New York Post: TikTok to sue Trump over order banning transactions with app

The New York Post

ByteDance seeking to deploy all legal ammunition as it tries to prevent TikTok deal negotiations from turning into a fire sale


Getty Images

TikTok is preparing to mount a legal challenge as early as Monday to President Trump’s executive order prohibiting transactions with the popular short video app and its Chinese parent ByteDance, according to people familiar with the matter.

Trump issued an executive order on Aug. 14 that gave ByteDance 90 days to divest the US operations of TikTok. ByteDance has been making progress in talks with potential acquirers, including Microsoft
MSFT,
-0.72%

and Oracle
ORCL,
-0.12%

. Some of ByteDance’s US investors could also join the winning bid.

See also: US WeChat users sue Trump over order banning messaging app

TikTok’s legal challenge pertains to an earlier executive order, which Trump issued on Aug. 6, the sources said. That order directed the Secretary of Commerce to come up with a list of transactions involving ByteDance and its holdings that should be banned after 45 days.

TikTok plans to argue that the Aug. 6 executive order’s reliance on the International Emergency Economic Powers Act deprives it of due process, according to the sources. TikTok will also contest its classification by the White House as a national security threat, the sources added.

It was not immediately clear which court TikTok plans to use to file its lawsuit. The company had previously said it was exploring its legal options, and its employees were also preparing their own lawsuit.

While TikTok is best known for its anodyne videos of people dancing and going viral among teenagers, US officials have expressed concerns that information on users could be passed on to China’s communist government.

The sources requested anonymity ahead of the lawsuit’s filing. ByteDance declined to comment. A White House spokesman declined to comment.

TikTok’s legal challenge would not shield ByteDance from having to divest the app. This is because it does not pertain to the Aug. 14 order on the sale of TikTok, which is not subject to judicial review.

However, the move shows that ByteDance is seeking to deploy all the legal ammunition at its disposal as it tries to prevent the TikTok deal negotiations from turning into a fire sale.

The Trump administration has stepped up its efforts to purge what it deems “untrusted” Chinese apps from US digital networks. Beyond TikTok, Trump has also issued an order that would prohibit transactions with Tencent Holding’s WeChat.

Trump has said he would support an effort by Microsoft to buy TikTok’s American operations if the US government got a “substantial portion” of the proceeds, but has also said there are other interested potential buyers such as Oracle.

This article was first published on NYPost.com

Written By

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Articles

Breaking

The Moneyist Published: Sept. 19, 2020 at 3:15 a.m. ET ‘We believed in good faith that this smart young man would be successful and...

Breaking

Published: Sept. 19, 2020 at 3:11 a.m. ET Office of Management and Budget memo earlier this month said ‘critical race theory’ was ‘divisive, false...

Breaking

It may be safest to skip this year’s family holiday gathering if possible, public-health experts say — but the decision is a personal one,...

Breaking

NewsWatch Published: Sept. 18, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. ET MARKETWATCH FRONT PAGE History isn’t repeating itself when it comes to the highflying technology stocks...