This is nothing like the old H2 or H3—take a look
GMC just unveiled the new all-electric Hummer. Similar to the Ford Bronco, it looks like Hummer is leading with a top of the line, nicely equipped (and perhaps future collectible) Edition 1, a sort of special premium launch version of the truck. This Hummer is an all-new, all-electric, full-size luxury pickup with real-truck abilities – like towing, off-road features and abilities, and a long driving range.
One big headline – the Hummer EV will have Super Cruise, which means true hands-free driving on mapped roads – of which there are currently 200,000 miles worth in the U.S.
What’s new for 2022?
Literally, everything is new. Although the Hummer name is familiar to some, this is nothing like the H2, H3 or even the legitimately tough, military grade H1. This is an all-new truck.
What we like
- Air suspension
- 4-wheel steer with CrabWalk diagonal drive functionality
- 3-motor system
- 800 volt DC fast-charging capability expected
Super Cruise – GM’s
truly hands-free driving capability pioneered by Cadillac
- Transparent roof with removable panels – basically a convertible pickup
- Multi-pro tailgate like on the GMC Sierra
- 1,000 hp and 11,500 lb-ft of torque
- 0-60 in three seconds
What we don’t
- Too soon to tell – maybe the price?
$80,000 – $112,595 including destination fee
The estimated driving range is 350 miles. GMC says the Hummer EV will have “800-volt DC fast-charging capability.” HUMMER EV Edition 1 is expected to have industry-best charging capability at any of the new 350-kilowatt high output public DC fast-charging stations — the fastest method supported by current charging.
Standard features and options
Standard equipment on all, including Edition 1, includes Super Cruise capability with three years of service, UltraVision with High Definition Surround Vision, Digital Key, 35-inch-OD tires, Infinity Roof (with removable panels), power rear drop glass, and a six-function MultiPro Tailgate.
Get Breaking Stock Alerts
Duncan Aldred, Vice President of Global Buick and GMC, said “The GMC Hummer EV is revolutionary, defying what the industry thinks of as a pickup truck. The Edition 1’s tailored off-road content will make Hummer EV’s unprecedented capability and zero-emissions a very special proposition for customers.”
Hummer EV2 will be just over $80,000 and features a two-motor drive system along with all other standard features. (available 2024)
Hummer EV2X will be just over $90,000 and adds adaptive air suspension, CrabWalk, and Extract mode. (available 2023)
Hummer EV3X Will be just over $100,000 and adds the three-motor drive system, torque vectoring, and Watts to Freedom – a sort of launch mode that allows maximum acceleration resulting in an estimated (by GM) 0-60 time of three seconds. (available 2022)
Where is the Hummer EV built?
GM says “The Hummer EV will be the first full-electric vehicle in GMC’s portfolio and is powered by General Motors’ new Ultium battery system. The battery cells will be produced as part of a joint venture with LG Chem, at a new facility, in Lordstown, Ohio.”
The GMC Hummer EV will be built in General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant which has been re-christened Factory Zero. This facility, which produced the 2020 Cadillac CT6 and 2020 Chevrolet Impala, will now exclusively produce electric vehicles
What is the Hummer EV’s max towing capacity?
What kind of off-road equipment will the Hummer EV Edition 1 have?
GMC says the Edition 1 will come with the following features and hardware:
- Independent front and rear suspension systems that are paired to the drive motors.
- Front e-Locker — an electronically controlled, driver-selectable locking differential that locks both front wheels.
- Rear virtual locker — simulates a locking differential for the dual-motor rear-drive unit. This is also capable of torque vectoring, which can vary the amount of torque sent to each wheel side to side.
- Heavy-duty ball-spline half-shafts – this maximizes axle articulation for maneuverability and reduces steering wheel feedback in off-road driving.
Standard 18-inch wheels with 35-inch–OD Goodyear
Wrangler Territory MT tires – provides exceptional maneuverability with the Hummer EV’s unprecedented off-road capability. Additionally, the vehicle is engineered to accommodate 37-inch tires.
- Underbody armor, consisting of five skid plates/rock sliders and two underbody shields to protect the battery pack, drive units and more
- UltraVision – includes 18 cameras mounted outside and under the truck. Part of this system is a “virtual spotter” which helps drivers navigate obstacles and place wheels on and off the trail. The underbody cameras are protected to minimize or avoid damage and have a wash function.
Look for the Hummer EV Edition 1 pickup to be on sale by fall of 2021.
This story originally ran on Autotrader.com.